Determined

Fandom: Xiaolin Showdown
Ship: Chase/Jack, OC/OC
Word Count: 4,631
Warnings: None

Zach stared at the boy he was about to face in a duel he knew nothing about. He was probably the woman's son. His eyes were slanted like hers but his skin was a darker shade like the leader of the group. He was wearing robes much like the other monks. This lead Zach to believe he was a Xiaolin in training. An enemy rather than an innocent bystander. His shaggy, black hair was just barely covering one eye though this didn't seem to hinder his angry glare. Zach didn't really want to fight with this boy but he would have to if he wanted to get to the vault. He waited for the boy to make his move first but he seemed to be thinking. Finally he spoke again.

"I bet my Eye of Dashi against your Monkey Staff. The first to the Mantis Flip Coin wins." he stated, seriously.

"Really?" Zach asked, raising an eyebrow and turning his head to the side. "But we've both already got it."

"Gong-Ye-Tempai!" Kyoji shouted in response.

Zach was a little confused about this strange duel. He had thought it would be a battle to the death but this was far less challenging than he had expected. All he had to do was get the coin out of Kyoji's fingers first. He smirked as he relaxed, thinking how simple minded this other boy was to suggest such a ridiculous contest. Just as his ego was beginning to inflate the coin between their fingers began to shine. Suddenly Zach was blinded. He cried out as he staggered back and looked up to find the coin rising over their heads. He took a few more steps back as he gawked up at it and his foot landed on nothing. He screeched as he began to fall and his tail wrapped around Kyoji's leg. The monks ran to the edge of the vault as the two fell.

Kyoji's screams were drowned out by Zach's screeching and the young monk was astonished to find his enemy suddenly clinging to him. When they finally landed the monkey-boy hit him hard. He shouted an incomprehensable sound of rage as he pushed the stranger off once again and cradled his stomach in his arms. They stood and Zach grinned guiltily as Kyoji glared at him. His attention was drawn away from the angry boy however. The vault was beginning to rise around them and Zach screeched once again. Kyoji shot him a glare as he moved closer to the Xiaolin in training. The reluctant Heylin backed away with another grin and looked away from his piercing eyes. He could see stone drawers in the walls and assumed this was where the Shen-Gong-Wu were kept. He could also see the other monks staring down at them from above but as the walls continued to rise they soon disappeared. The event seemed to mystify Zach and he couldn't to take his eyes off the distant glow of the Mantis Flip Coin. Kyoji smirked. He would make use of his opponets inexperience.

Zach was shocked when Kyoji suddenly sprang into the air. He bounced off the sides of the wall and dodged drawers as they shot out at him. Zach growled as he pursued the other boy. His monkey feet proved to be very helpful and he scrambled over drawers as though they were nothing. Kyoji looked down to find the enemy approaching swiftly. He jerked a drawer from the wall and dropped it. Zach gasped. He hadn't expected a good guy to do something that could be considered anything close to dirty. He pushed off the wall and flew through the air, avoiding the heavy chunk of stone as it shot down the tunnel like a rocket. Zach climbed onto a drawer as it shot out and jumped at Kyoji. As he was flying through the air Kyoji stopped and grabbed at the pendant around his neck.

"Eye of Dashi!" he shouted, aiming it at Zach.

Zach was so surprised by the fact that lightning was actually shooting out of his opponets accessory that he didn't even think about taking evasive action. He shouted in agony as his veins coursed with electricity. Kyoji smirked but it soon faded as he saw that Zach was withstanding the assault. He gritted his teeth as he grabbed onto a drawer and pushed himself up with such strength that he shot over Kyoji's head. He landed above him and gave the shocked boy a fang-filled grin as he kicked him in the face. Unfortunately this didn't seem to loosen Kyoji's grip on the drawer to which he was clinging. The fact that Zach had managed to withstand his attack had injured his pride and he glared at Zach with a look of such ferocity that Zach gasped. He turned to flee from his raged expression but Kyoji grabbed his tail before he could make his escape.

Kyoji threw him against the opposite wall of the vault but when he released Zach's tail it didn't release him. Kyoji gasped as the red-brown appendage wrapped around his wrist. Zach hit the wall hard and broken stone rained down on Kyoji's head as he too hit the wall. As he did so a drawer shot out and hit him in the stomach as well. Unlike Kyoji Zach actually managed to pull himself up to a drawer and laughed as he swung Kyoji back towards the wall. Kyoji groaned as he watched the wall approach again and was glad to see the drawer close before he hit the the hard rock again. Zach removed his tail but Kyoji grabbed it again, looking up at Zach with the expression the Heylin was starting to fear. His fist tightened around his tail which was painful all on its own but then he felt Kyoji pull down on his fifth appendage with such force he knew he would shoot straight through the earth when he landed.

However Zach refused to go down alone and Kyoji gasped when he felt himself pulled along for the ride. Kyoji punched Zach in the head a few times in hopes that he would let go but Zach was more focused on stopping the fall before he ended up on the bottom of the vault again. He grabbed onto a drawer but their momentum and weight must have been too much for it. It came loose and Zach cursed as he threw it up at Kyoji who dodged the stone missile easily. He watched it rise and then fall again. Zach realized how stupid a move it was as soon as it came back down at him. Kyoji laughed when he looked down just in time to see it land on Zach's face. The tail around his wrist unraveled as Zach fell away.

He hit the wall and bounced off before he could manage to grab another drawer. He wiped the blood from his nose and sniffed as he stared up at Kyoji. His retreating form was blurred by tears of pain and he wiped these away as well before continuing. As he was climbing the drawers he looked down to notice something he should have seen before. The Shen-Gong-Wu were actually in some of them. He saw a pair of chopsticks in one but this wasn't what he was looking for so he left them. He opened a few empty drawers, searching for the Ying and Yang Shen-Gong-Wu. He thought this would be more easily identifiable than the Sphere of Yun. He saw a mirror, a pair of glasses and even a heart as he searched. He shouted in triumph as he opened a drawer to finally reveal the Ying Yo-Yo. He reached in for it but as his fingers closed around the precious object the drawer shut abruptly. He screeched as he tried to pull his hand free without having to let go of the Ying Yo-Yo. He looked up to see how far Kyoji was only to realize he couldn't see him at all. The light from above was growing brighter until he couldn't see at all.

He gasped when he suddenly found himself standing above ground again. He held his throbbing hand as he stared at the monks. They were gathering around Kyoji who was holding the Mantis Flip Coin, the Eye of Dashi and the Monkey Staff! Zach gasped as he stared at his dad's most valuable possession. He twisted to look at his backside to find that he was tailess as expected. He had lost. How was he going to explain this to his fathers? The thought of what Chase might do to him as punishment made fear fill every part of Zach's body. He would find out Zach had left the mountain, convorted with an old enemy, lost a Shen-Gong-Wu and disobeyed him in more ways than Zach could count. The red-head wailed miserably as he put his hands to his face and the monks stared at him curiously. Kyoji however seemed to be confused. He was staring at the items in shock and looked up to the older monks.

"How did I win?" Kyoji asked. "I never made it to the top."

"Perhaps he cheated" the yellow monk exclaimed.

"Jack cheated all the time, Omi." the woman replied. "That never ended a Showdown early."

"That was the only way he ever won, actually." the leader said with a laugh.

He had known this statement would get a rise out of their most memorable enemy's son. He watched as the boy's hands balled into fists and smirked at his anger. Zach lifted his head so fast that his hair almost flew into the air and his eyes were glowing red slightly. He dropped his fists to his side and the monks thought he might pitch a fit as Jack had many times before him. However the boy's fists began to glow and he stepped forward as though he were going to attack again. The monks took fighting stances but a dragon came into the room suddenly and everyone looked over at him. He looked from the monks to Zach's enraged face a few times then laughed nervously.

"I sensed a Shen-Gong-Wu." he said, approaching the leader. "Bad time?"

"Would that Wu be the Monkey Staff by any chance, Dojo?" the cowboy asked.

"Yeah. Why?" he asked before looking up and seeing Kyoji's armful of Wu. "Wow, your kid's fast Raimundo."

"He's a chip off the old block. Right, kiddo?" Raimundo laughed, putting his elbow on Kyoji's shoulder.

"Yeah, Kimiko's block." the cowboy joked, elbowing Raimundo in the ribs.

"Excuse my inerruption of Kimiko's much deserved praise, Clay." Omi stated calmly. "Perhaps we should question Dojo on the matter of the Showdown."

Zach curbed his temper at this and decided to find out why he had lost. He took a few steps back, hoping the shadows of the room would make him less noticable. The monks seemed to have forgotten about him for the moment and Zach was somewhat glad his dad had set the bar so low. Obviously they didn't see him as much of a threat if they werer willing to have a casual conversation while he was around. He preferred it this way actually. If they weren't afraid of him they wouldn't be as vigilant as they might have had they known his other father happened to be Chase Young. He watched as Dojo thumbed through a small book while the others explained the events of the Showdown to him.

"Let's see..." he murmurred as he flipped through. "No. No. Nope. That's not it. I don't see anything. Are you sure that's all he did?"

"I think he was going through the drawers!" Kyoji exclaimed suddenly. "That's how I got so far ahead. No wonder he wasn't chasing me. He was after the other Wu."

"That's it!" Dojo confirmed, snapping the book shut. "During a Xiaolin Showdown each opponet can only use the Shen-Gong-Wu they took into the Showdown with them. The other Wu were off-limits because they were a part of the surrounding enviroment."

Kyoji looked down at the Wu in his hands and back up at Zach. The boy had withdrawn into the shadows and his eyes were glowing from within the darkness but the look on his face was somewhat forlorn. Kyoji sighed as he passed the Mantis Flip Coin to Kimiko. The other monks watched in silence as Kyoji walked towards Zach. The Heylin boy jerked back from him and raised his fists but Kyoji stopped in front of him. He smiled softly and Zach relaxed. It was the first he'd seen anything but anger on the monk's face. It made his hard features soften and his face looked almost beautiful. He found himself staring into tender green eyes as the boy reached out towards him.

"Take it." Kyoji whispered. "I didn't really win."

Zach looked confused and it took him a moment to realize that Kyoji was returning the Monkey Staff to him. Kimiko sighed proudly at her son's noble actions and Omi put his hands in his sleeves with a smile. Clay tipped his hat down slightly to hide his own smile but Raimundo was staring at Zach angrily over his son's head. Zach didn't seem to notice this however. He was still staring at Kyoji and Raimundo didn't like the expression on his face. Zach reached down to take the Monkey Staff and when his fingers closed around it's worn surface Kyoji turned from him. This seemed to break his trance and Zach finally noticed Raimundo's angry stare. He looked away and his eyes met Kyoji's as he turned to stand in front of his mother.

"Thank you." Zach said, looking genuinely grateful as he clutched the staff close. "My father would have...Thank you."

Zach watched Kyoji's face as it took on the same expression he had been greeted with when the Showdown began. He couldn't get over how deep and piercing those hazel eyes were. He felt like Kyoji was staring straight through him and down into his blackened soul. He dropped his arms to his side suddenly and returned the glare. His red eyes shone in the candlelight and Kyoji was surprised to see such a serious look on his face. It was nothing like his somewhat comical enraged expression and a far cry from the nervous grin he had given him. His face was so calm and neutral that it felt unnatural to Kyoji.

"This isn't over." Zach whispered, narrowing his eyes. "I need those Shen-Gong-Wu."

Raimundo opened his mouth to say something smart to the young Heylin but the red-head raised a fist into the air. He slammed something to the ground and a cloud of dust errupted around them. The older monks coughed and waved the smoke away but Kyoji just watched as Zach disappeared into the darkness outside the temple doors, knowing that the other boy was more of a threat than his parents would admit. He was clumsy and ruled by his emotions but he had plenty of power hidden beneath his flaws. He put a hand up to the Eye of Dashi and turned his eyes to the ground as the scowl left his face.

Zach hurried down the path leading out of the temple and didn't slow his steps until he had reached the forest. He stopped when he was sure he was far enough away and looked back at the temple, reflecting on his battle. He had not done well to be sure but he had to get those Wu. He sighed as he turned toward the path. He didn't want to fight Kyoji again. For one thing it resulted in a lot of pain and for another he didn't think he wanted to cause the other harm. The look the boy had given him made him seem less like an enemy. The smile had made him seem warm and friendly. Inviting. How could he hurt someone who had given him the first kind expression outside his family?

"Why the long face, kid?" Wuya's voice rasped from above.

"I lost." Zach stated, refusing to look up at her.

"What?!" she demanded, dropping to the ground in front of him.

"I said, I lost!" Zach growled. "It was the first time I've ever fought someone. What did you expect?"

"From the son of Chase Young?" she demanded, crossing her arms. "I expected competance but it seems the Spicer blood runs too thick in your veins, boy. Find your own way home!"

Zach gasped as she slapped her hands together and disappeared again. He sighed heavily and gripped the Monkey Staff tightly in his hand. He was growing to hate this Wuya woman. He felt he would be better off telling her to get lost. However, if he did he wouldn't have an excuse to go back to the Xiaolin Temple. He wandered the forest in silent thought for some time before coming across Wuya's enchanted path. He knew he had reached it when the darkness closed around him. He hurried forward and let out a sigh of relief when he came out at the base of his mountain home. He climbed up slowly though he knew he should hurry before Chase returned. He couldn't find it in himself though. He was tired from his fight and he was hurt by the way Wuya had insulted and abandoned him.

He entered the lair silently and made his way down the darkened coridoors until he found himself at his fathers' bedchambers once again. The door creaked as he pushed it open and Zach cringed. He took his shoes off before stepping inside and tip toed over to the open case on the wall. He gently placed the Monkey Staff back inside and screwed the front back on quickly. He stood there for a moment, staring at the mystical object. His dad had chased after them as a child. He had never heard Jack speak of this fact but he felt it in his heart. Jack had wanted those Shen-Gong-Wu. To hell with Wuya. Next time he would take what he could get his hands on. He put his hand on the case and smiled. If he was going to do this he would do it for his dad. He knew this was the only way he would be able to do it without feeling guilty about disobeying him.

"Zachary." a cold voice he knew well echoed through the large room.

"Father." Zach whispered, turning around slowly.

He gulped as he was greeted by the sight of Chase standing in the doorway. He was lit from behind by a torch on the wall and Zach stared at his shadowy form. He stood with his arms crossed and had already removed his armor in preparation for bed - probably to avoid waking Jack. It was obvious he hadn't been expecting to see Zach in the room but that didn't mean he suspected anything. Zach smiled at him and put his hands behind his back, looking away as he lied. He knew he could never sucessfully fool his father if he stared him in the eye.

"I was scared cause you didn't come back tonight so I slept with Dad."

"You're a bit old for that now, Zachary." Chase replied, entering the room.

"I know. Sorry."

Chase glared at Zach and he almost began to sweat under his intense stare. He knew Chase was trying to get him to look up but he refused to do so. Nothing Chase did could make Zach look up at him at a time like this. It was a life or death situation and Zach wouldn't die in the horrible manner he knew he would if his father figured out he was leaving the mountain. He whispered a goodnight and tried to hurry by the stricter of his fathers but Chase didn't let him go so easily. As he was passing by Chase grabbed his wrist. Zach turned but didn't look up.

"Sleep well, Zachary." Chase whispered, voice so low Zach could have been imagining it. "I love you."

Zach flinched as Chase leaned down and placed a gentle kiss on his forehead. His wrist was released and Zach hurried away, heart thumping rapidly. He hurried into his room and slammed the door behind him. He put a hand to his chest as he leaned against the wall and panted for breath. His father hardly ever, ever told him that he loved him. Did he suspect? Was he trying to guilt him into telling on himself? He walked over to his bed and fell onto it with a sigh. He wiggled under the covers and shoved the pillow over his head with a groan. He didn't want to have to get up in the morning for school. He closed his eyes and in the darkness he could see green orbs of intense anger staring back at him. Kyoji's eyes haunted him until he fell into a fervent, dream-filled sleep.

"Zach!" a voice shouted at him as the whole world seemed to shake. "Zachary Cornelius Spicer! You get up right now! Chase is gonna kick your ass!"

"No...sleepy..." Zach grumbled, rolling onto his stomach.

Jack sighed as Zach kicked his feet and groaned. Why had he went back to his room last night anyways? Maybe Chase had run him off. Jack sat down on the side of the bed and smiled as he pulled the pillow off his head to find a huge puff of red hair. He remembered back to when Zach had slept with the two of them often. Chase tried to pretend it had been an annoyance but Jack would wake in the middle of the night to find the Heylin legend cradling their son gently. Jack brushed Zach's hair down with his fingers as he drooled into his pillow and stared down at him lovingly. He was late for school but Chase wouldn't be too hard on him since he had been the one to wake him so late last night.

"Daddy..." Zach mumbled, swiping at his hand. "Stop."

"It's time to get up, Zach." Jack responded. "Chase's gonna be mad if you don't get the library on time, ya know."

Zach shot out of bed at the thought of Chase smacking him in the back of the head and Jack laughed at him. He left the room so Zach could get dressed and when he had gone Zach sat on the edge of his bed, hands clasped. He was worried about spending the day with Chase even if it was in school. What if he did or said something to give himself away? He sighed as he got to his feet and prepared himself for the day. He knew he would have his hands full from now until he'd stolen back Wuya's Shen-Gong-Wu. His days would be spent trying to avoid eye contact with his father at school and maybe if he was lucky he could sleep some more in the afternoon. However, his nights were certainly going to be sleepless.

He drug his feet as he made his way to the old, dusty library where Chase had taught him all the things Jack couldn't. He learned more than history and math in this dim room. Chase had been trying to teach him magic as of late. Zach didn't take to it as easily as he would have hoped but that didn't mean he could quit. He sat down at the table where the books he would be using for the day had already been set out. He took a quick glance at them and found that today would luckily be easy. Heylin History, Dark Literature and Math were staring back at him. He loved math and Heylin History fascinated him. He could have done without the literature but he was glad it was that rather than magic.

"You're late." Chase hissed, glaring at him.

"Sorry, Father." Zach whispered, keeping his eyes on his books. "I didn't sleep well last night."

"That's no excuse. Read your literature."

"Yes, sir."

Zach opened his book and slowly turned the pages as he searched for the last story he had been reading. He watched out of the corner of his eye as Chase walked by him and flinched when he saw a hand coming at his head. He expected to be smacked for his tardiness but the fingers landed on his head softly, pressing his spikes flat. Zach almost looked up out of his surprise but managed to keep his eyes on the book as Chase petted his hair softly. Zach knew that Chase suspected him of something. There was no possible way he would be giving him such loving gestures if he didn't.

"You look so much like your mother." Chase whispered, voice icey and cold.

Zach gasped and his eyes shot up to Chase's face. He had just made a huge mistake. He had forgotten for a moment how often Chase called Jack his mother. He had thought for just a second that Chase had been referring to his real mother. Those golden eyes stared down into his own with a look of triumph and Zach tried to look away. It was too late. He was trapped by Chase's gaze. He couldn't be sure if Chase had realized the truth or not but he wouldn't look away until he did. He was still trying to figure it out. He knew Zach was up to something but he didn't know what. Zach blinked and looked away, breaking the tense moment.

"Read." Chase commanded, removing his hand as he turned his back to Zach.

Zach tried not to sigh in relief and focused on his school work. He got through his literature with a little effort and shot through math. As he was tapping his pencil on one of his finished problems his mind began to wonder. He thought about his battel with the monks. They all had so many Shen-Gong-Wu. They could utilize the magic of any of them at any time and yet he had nothing but his own two hands. He was thinking of how he could use some more Shen-Gong-Wu to battle them when Kyoji's eyes suddenly entered his mind. They stared back at him when he closed his eyes. He didn't know what it was about those eyes. Those beautiful, piercing eyes that seemed to stare into his soul. The rest of Kyoji was just starting to invade his daydreams when he was suddenly interrupted by a sharp pain in the back of his head. He opened his eyes and grabbed the spot Chase had smacked with a look of pain.

"Pay attention!" Chase snapped.

"I am!" Zach returned, cursing him under his breath. "I'm done with my math!"

"Then move on to history."

"Father, what about magic?" Zach demanded, suddenly.

Chase stopped as he was turning away from his son and a look of suspicion crossed his face. He knew how much Zachary detested learning magic. Why was he suddenly interested now. It was true that Chase would rater he be eagar to learn but he wouldn't let this blind him to the fact that such a sudden interest only increased his suspicions. He turned to face Zach once again with a faint smirk. He would let it go for now. Whatever Zach was up to it was certainly pointing him more in the direction he had hoped he would go in when he reached this age. He gave Zach a slight nod of his head as he exited the dim room and Zach followed with a grin. He still hated magic but he was willing to learn if it would help him get the Shen-Gong-Wu.