Bullshit

Fandom: Red vs Blue
Characters: Florida and South Dakota
Word Count: 590
Warnings: None

"This is bullshit!" South cried, throwing her helmet.

It ricocheted off the ship's wall and hit her foot. South was still suited up but you wouldn't have known by her reaction. She screamed like a raging grizzly bear and kicked the helmet as hard as she could. A few in the locker room tried to pretend they didn't notice. South's tantrums were becoming the norm. They had discovered that it was far easier to let her rage burn itself out. For their own benefit as well as South's. The only one who dared bother her at this point was North. Well, North and one less welcomed individual.

Florida pulled his own helmet off to place it in his locker as the young woman screamed. He calmly removed his bandolier as well, hanging it off a hook on the door. He smiled and the sincerity of it stretched all the way to his big brown eyes. South was squeezing the helmet between her hands when he approached. Her eyes were shut tight and her face twisted into an image of pure frustration. He clapped a hand on her shoulder to get her attention. Wash, watching from his locker, practically flinched.

South's eyes snapped open and the helmet hit the floor again as her arm flew out, knocking Florida's away. His smile persisted in spite of South's reaction. That pissed her off more than anything. Nothing could wipe that fucking smile off his face. Her eyes narrowed and her voice came out low and threatening.

"You wanna keep that arm, keep it to yourself."

"There's no need to be so defensive, South Dakota. Why don't you tell me why you're so upset?"

"Why am I upset? Where do you live?" South shouted. "Since day one, day-fucking-one, that bitch knocked us all down a peg! She gets special treatment! It’s not fair!"

South kicked her helmet again, and it hit the locker across from her own. Florida didn't react. He kept his focus on South Dakota's face. She hated that, too. He just kept staring straight at you. He didn't have the decency to look away. South's eyes darted to the unused locker of the target of her rage to avoid Florida's stare.

"Texas worked her way up the ladder like everyone else. She certainly kicked my butt in training enough times," he added with a laugh.

"Yeah, well, that doesn't really say much, does it number ten?" South shot back, meeting his eyes again.

She was daring him. She could use a fight right now. But he just ran a hand through his jet black hair, and his smile turned a bit lopsided. He knew she was trying to bait him, and it was almost adorable. South Dakota was like a child. Maybe that's why he approached her when any other soldier let her tantrums pan out.

"South, you're worth isn't equated to your rank." Florida's voice was soothing. It came across as condescending to South. "We're all a team here. No one's competing."

"Bullshit."

She spat it at him. The word was meant to be a punch in the gut. It had its own physical presence. It hung around in the room long after she gave birth to it. Later, Connie would give that presence new life. After a long stare, South pushed past Florida, bumping his shoulder roughly, and retrieved her helmet. It hung lazily from two fingers as she swaggered away. Florida sighed, but when he turned to Wash, a smile still split his face.

"Join me for lunch?"