Cowardice and Ego

Fandom: 9
Characters: Scientist and 1
Word Count: 831
Warnings: None

Screams of horror – the bastard children of my arrogance and folly – find their way to my stronghold even now. I try my best to put them out of mind as I work. I know not how long my beloved government can hold out. I know not how long I will have to perfect this creation. I only know it is the last chance humanity has, and it is my responsibility to provide that last chance as I am the one who has taken away all others. I place the completed device on my workbench, finally ready for the test run. I reach for the small, mechanical doll I laid aside some time ago. It remains where I left it, patiently awaiting life. My hands shake as the ground rumbles beneath me, but I hold tightly to that hollow shell of canvas and wood. They have felled yet another monster of my creation's making. I still have time. As long as they can destroy them, I still have time. My quivering fingers reach for the button that will rip away a very part of my soul, and I feel the fear overtake me. If this does not work, all is lost. All is lost. It echoes in my mind, all I can think, and a feeling of the need for safety, the need to hide, pervades. I know I have created a fearful creature even as I press the button.

1 sat upon his self-made throne, narrow eyes wandering around the room as he lost himself in thought. These thoughts, as always, were on the safety of his domain – his self-proclaimed kingdom – and he began to see a threat to that long-held safety among his subordinates. 8 was completely obedient, of course. No trouble there. He had 6 under control, able to convince the others he was mad. His drawings were the lingering memories of random, useless symbols resurfacing amidst the chaos of his broken mind. 5 was a coward who only followed 2's lead. It was 2 that caused him the most anxiety. He tapped his chin lightly with a clawed finger. 2 was becoming too concerned with 6's drawings and this "source" he kept mumbling about. If 2 ever learned the truth, his sense of justice would drive the others to seek it out. Never! They had already lost 3, 4, and 7 to their own flawed characteristics. If 2 could not quash his insatiable curiosity, 1 would have no choice but to do away with him. Sometimes – no, always – the sacrifice of one to save the whole was necessary and justifiable. 1 lowered his hand slowly, and his fingers curled around the fold of cloth from his cape which always seemed to catch on the arm of his throne as he sat. He did not want to sacrifice any of his subjects, but better one warrior die than to lose an entire kingdom. Yes, it was for the best. The path that led them to safety was always best.

"Eight!" 1 called, barely waiting for the lumbering youngster's arrival before tossing a command at him. "Bring me Two. I have a job for him."

1's eyes narrowed further, his shutters almost closing entirely, but 8 – having very little thought of his own – simply hefted his blade to his shoulder and immediately set off to do his master's bidding. 1 clutched his staff, fingers scraping across the metal, and buried his premature guilt with a barrage of justifications. Better to snuff the flame before it grew. He closed his eyes as 2 entered the room. He opened them once more after a moment, what shame had risen buried alive, and spoke calmly as his fingers released his cape slowly.

"I need you to scout the area to the north," he began. "I'm afraid our safety has been compromised by the loss of 7. Someone needs to pick up her slack."

2 looked confused for a moment. He opened his mouth, looked at 8, and closed it. A bit of realization seemed to shoot across his face, but it vanished quickly. A fleeting suspicion, 1 was sure. It may have been a while since 7 disappeared, but 3 and 4 had gone missing more recently. It was enough to justify his need to replace 7 at last. 1 held his breath as he waited for 2 to agree to the mission and when 2 took his leave, 1 sighed in relief. 2 may have known his true intentions and chose to obey him for his own purposes, but 1 liked to think otherwise. With his guilt gone, only his ego remained, and 1 was happier believing that he had fooled the other. Yes, he thought as his fingers played over the thick straps around his chest, better he be the genius who killed 2 than the fool who let him live long enough to get the rest of them killed. Better the guilt of murder than face the fear of failure.