Blake's Invitation

Fandom: As Told By Ginger
Ship: Blake/Carl
Word Count: 3,922
Warnings: None

Lois was loathed to enter Carl's room the next morning but it had to be done. She'd been anticipating Spring Break just as much as her children because it meant less time she had to spend forcing Carl to do various school related things. Like getting up for instance. The never ceasing battle between mother and son that predated civilized man. She took a deep breath in preparation for the yelling she knew she'd be doing and shoved the door open with a bang.

"CARL! GET...up?"

"Already there, Lola."

She turned from her son's empty room to see him walk by her quickly, fully dressed and ready to go. She was flabbergasted at this strange behavior and had to hurry after him for answers. When she caught up he was in the kitchen making some sort of breakfast concoction though of what it consisted she couldn't rightly say. Unfortunately this was one childhood habit he'd never broken. She watched him quietly as he ate, trying to come up with a way to question his early rising without discouraging it at the same time.

"So...Carl...what convinced you to get up so early? If you don't mind my asking, that is."

"No reason. If I have to endure such a punishment I figured I'd get it done and over with." he answered carefully.

"Are you sure you're not using that phone to talk to girls?"

"Mom..." he groaned, rolling his eyes. "If I have to hear another girl complain about her boyfriend I'll kill myself."

"I'll take that as a no." she responded with a smirk.

He didn't get the chance to reply and Lois didn't get the chance to question any further as Ginger came stumbling down the stairs in her disheveled pajamas with frizzy red hair sticking out from her head. She groaned half coherent sentences at her mother as she blindly searched for some kind of breakfast before getting ready to enjoy her time away from school. By the time she'd managed to get everything she needed for breakfast into her bowl and sat down Carl was nearly finished but he was sure he'd gotten up early enough to enjoy some quality family time - without Dave hanging around to ruin it. It was fairly nostalgic so for a few minutes he just sat listening to his mother and sister talk.

"So, Ging, where're you off to today?"

"Courtney's." she yawned. "She wants me to stay the night."

"Just make sure to stay away from those pit bulls they keep over there." Lois warned in her motherly voice. "Those things can be dangerous. They are guard dogs, ya know."

"Moom." Ginger sighed. "Don't worry. They're used to me."

"Well, I'm your mother. I can't help but worry."

As Ginger continued discussing Courtney's home and it's various dangers with her mother - including getting lost and never coming out via the Rose Red technique - he saw Lois' eyes wandering back to him. He knew the moment she could find a break in her lecturing and arguing with Ginger she would be after him again. He decided that now was the perfect opportunity to make his escape. Leaving what was left on his plate he for her to clean up, Carl exited with a short good-bye only half noticed by Ginger.

On the way down the sidewalk he was halted by Hoodsey who came running up to him. He wondered for a moment if he should bother telling him about Blake before he had managed to gather any actual ammo but decided against it. Instead he spent the walk complaining about the rest of the phone calls he'd experienced. Hoodsey actually recognized some of the people from overheard gossip between some of the girls in school but none of them interested Carl. He was more interested in Blake and again he wondered if he should tell Hoodsey. He felt a little uneasy about not wanting to discuss it with his best friend. Hoodsey should be the first he told about this but he found himself unwilling to divulge his particularly special phone buddy's identity.

"You haven't said anything for, like, ten minutes Carl." Hoodsey said, shaking him from his reverie. "Are you worried about my Mom cause I totally stood up for you about the gum."

"Nah, that's not it, Hoods." he sighed. "I'm just apprehensive about this special detention."

"Why?"

"No reason I suppose. It's been a while since I've gotten special punishment. It's not so cute anymore is it?"

"What?"

"The schemes and pranks. You think we're getting too old for it?"

"I dunno. Sometimes it's still fun."

"I know but it's losing it's luster, right?"

"I guess." he sighed. "Getting old sucks."

"Yeah. And we still have balding and marriage to look forward too." Carl added with a grin.

Hoodsey just laughed but he saw a hand go to his head for a moment. He didn't blame Hoodsey for worrying about baldness even now considering the bad case his father was suffering. After all balding was often a hereditary thing. Carl didn't know whether or not he should be worried himself considering he'd never really had the chance to hang out with his father. The last anyone had seen of him was when he came to see them before moving all the way across the country. That hadn't been long after his mother's wedding. Carl didn't think about him much but when he did it was often with resentment. Not anger so much as disappointment and regret. He sometimes wondered what it would have been like to have a real father in his life like most of the other guys he'd known.

Dr. Dave wasn't the same as a real father but he hadn't wanted Jonas around either. This had often caused him to feel confused about father figures in general and his male teachers suffered greatly for this along the way. He had never allowed himself to become attached to another female teacher. Not since he'd lost Gordon. Thanks to her they had been spared his pranks through middle school and now he was growing somewhat tired of pranks in general. Of course that wouldn't stop him from enjoying the anger of Petey for the rest of the year.

He exchanged a short good bye with Hoodsey when they reached the school and entered the gym in a hurry. As he settled into his seat - a few minutes early to Dennison's surprise - he stared at his phone in anticipation. He'd hoped he'd made a good enough impression on Blake yesterday to get him to call back again today. He hadn't really told him much during their first conversation. Carl could sense the mistrust in his voice when he spoke so if he had to buddy up to him to get his ammo he didn't mind. However as the day passed he grew less optimistic. He only got more boy troubles from girl's wanting to know if he could give them a boy's opinion on the subject.

Carl was sure that if he tried he probably could pick up a girl through this phone buddy thing. They all seemed pretty desperate for a guy who didn't treat them like crap. Carl could be that guy and ever since Sussman he'd had a hard time with girls. None of them seemed to like him for very long. At first they were head over heels in love with him because he was "sensitive" and "understanding" and some other bullshit he didn't think he was. But then they obviously realized they were wrong and decided to dump him for some jock or punk. Carl was flicking pieces of pencil eraser off his desk as he thought about this but found his bitter musings interrupted suddenly by what was probably another loner looking for acceptance in a community he wouldn't even be a part of in three and a half years. He was about to pick it up and answer in his normal, less than enthusiastic voice when Dennison called over to him.

"It's actually someone from yesterday, kid. Either he's a masochist or you were actually helpful for once."

Carl just grinned back at Dennison as he answered the phone in his fake accent. He was somewhat surprised that it fooled Blake really but he didn't put much thought into it. He was more worried about gaining the younger boy's trust so he announced himself with a hint of excitement in his voice. The sound of Blake's voice as he returned the greeting sapped all the anticipation from his face however. It sounded hollow and unsure.

"Hello, Nathanial." the younger boy whispered. "It's Andrew."

"Well, g'day, Andrew." Carl answered, mentally slapping himself for the Australian greeting. "What's on your mind today?"

"Nothing much of importance." he lied, twirling the phone cord around his finger. "I enjoyed conversing with you yesterday so I thought we might try it again."

"I see. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to speak of myself so I'm afraid you'll have to provide the subject for now."

"Yes...well...I suppose..."

Carl sighed at his stammering. Blake's pride was going to be a difficult obstacle to overcome. Yesterday was mostly spent listening to him brag vaguely so that Carl wouldn't know who he was. Today he hoped he could get him to admit to some more embarrassing events or fears. Carl leaned back in his chair and smiled, finding a strange satisfaction in the vulnerable tone of voice Blake was using as he muttered through a story about his sister. Something about the soft way he mumbled under his breath with a little laugh gave him a thrill. He sat up and frowned, passing the feeling off as pure male dominance.

"So, you've spoken of a mother, a butler and a sister so far. Do you have any friends?"

Carl wasn't sure why he'd brought up a subject he knew would make Blake feel uncomfortable but as the other boy fell silent he immediately regretted it. If Blake didn't feel comfortable speaking to him he wouldn't reveal any secrets after all. This excuse slipped to the back of his mind as he heard the tremble in Blake's negative response. Carl had to think of a way to salvage this disaster and make Blake feel better. He slammed his head on the table just hard enough that Blake wouldn't hear it over the phone, hoping that would jump start his brain.

"Well, Andrew, I'm sure there's someone-"

"No." Blake responded instantly. "The only boy in school who will speak with me is an outcast as well."

"Well that's someone at least."

"He carts around an ageing monkey who vomits quite often.. I understand that beggars can't be choosers but I would prefer to avoid such a risk." Blake answered curtly.

"And there's no one else?" Carl urged.

Somewhere in the back of his mind a little voice was screaming, "Me, me, me, me!" and Carl couldn't ignore it. He wanted Blake to mention him. He wanted to find out what Blake would say about him if he didn't know he was listening. He had certainly had no desire to hear about his relationship with Brandon. He made a face of disgust at the thought of the strange kid who still toted Mr. Licorice around with him everywhere. He nearly scooted to the edge of his seat as Blake spoke again.

"There is this chap I used to know as a child..." he said slowly. "But he won't give me the time of the day now."

"Maybe he doesn't realize you want to be friends." Carl replied, putting a hand to his eyes.

Now he felt bad. He'd known Blake was trying to become friends lately but he had been too busy with his own life to take notice. Now he was only interested in him for his own selfish reasons. But then the reasons were to get closer to him in a way. Maybe Carl just didn't know how to make friends right. He'd had Hoodsey for as long as he could remember but perhaps he'd always pushed Blake like he had because he was afraid of failing at befriending the other boy. Carl slammed his hand on the table again. He hated it when he ended up psycho-analyzing himself.

"Perhaps."

"I tell you what, Andrew. Try to get his attention again tomorrow. Be a little more clear. Invite him over or something."

"He wouldn't even take a ride from me yesterday." Blake said, sounding pouty.

"Then visit him at his home. Perhaps this will be more acceptable to him."

"Perhaps..." Blake consented. "Well, then, Nathaniel...I'll call tomorrow."

"I'll talk to you tomorrow then, mate." Carl said with a smile.

He sighed deeply as he hung up and placed his head back on the table a little more gently than he had the previous two times. Now what was he doing? There was no need for him to hang out with Blake in order to get him to confess to something he could use as ammo. No. This wasn't right. He wasn't supposed to start feeling sorry for him. After all, they were arch-rivals as children. This thought was able to sufficiently destroy his previous analysis of their relationship. Carl had a habit of admitting the truth to himself then soon afterward concealing it once again. He could tell now that this was not going to be the best way to carry out his original plan. However, he knew he wouldn't be so cruel as to turn Blake away the next day.

Carl was standing at the fridge searching for something to eat when it happened. There was a light knock on the door that he knew couldn't be Courtney. She made sure everyone knew she had arrived when she visited. Hoodsey and he had a somewhat secret knock themselves so who else could it be? Carl looked at his reflection in the shining surface of their stainless steel refrigerator. His hair was nowhere near perfect. It was actually sticking directly up on one side. He hurried to comb it down with his fingers as he looked around for a dirty shirt to put on before heading for the door. He was half in his shirt and half out when he finally got there. Carl pulled the cotton blend curtain down from his eyes to reveal Blake.

There was a light color to his cheeks and the fleeting thought that he had been staring at his bare chest passed through Carl's mind but he let it go. Blake's cheeks had a natural color to their pale surface anyways. His lips were paler than usual today however and his eyes a little wide as he shuffled his feet, looking away quickly. Carl put a hand on the door frame and stretched across to lean on the other side. He was posing! He could have killed himself for that. Instead he straightened up and crossed his arms as casually as he could.

"What is it Gripling?"

"Well, you see Foutley...the truth being...I wanted to..."

Carl could see that he was nervous and he knew that the cause of this was probably the stolid frown that was plastered to his face however if he didn't frown he was afraid he might smile. And if he smiled Blake might get suspicious. This was pure paranoia on Carl's part. He was forgetting that he had just recently smiled and winked at the younger boy. He watched as Blake's lips stumbled over his words a moment longer before he was able to get himself together. He took a deep breath and started over with an embarrassed look.

"I...wanted to ask you something." Blake sighed. "I know we haven't been the best of friends in the past but I thought...perhaps we would give it another go. What do you say? We could ...hang out at my place. Or yours."

"Sure, Blakey-boy. Why not?"

Blake's face lit up with excitement but he was quick to hide it from Carl. He invited him to come to his house but Carl knew that Ginger would be there hanging out with Courtney. So instead he insisted they head up to his room. Lois and Dave were out to dinner anyways so Carl would have been bored otherwise. Hoodsey was away visiting Dodie for the weekend. Upon hearing this Blake's face glowed with a deep blush and he stopped one stair away from the top floor. Carl turned to look at him with a questioning look in his eyes but Blake didn't give him the chance to inquire as to the problem. He hurried to the top and followed Carl to his room.

Blake looked around at the postered walls and the grungy carpet that had transformed from a bright white to a dingy brown over the many years they had been here. When Dave had first entered the family he had wanted them to move from this house but Ginger had made such a fuss about it that the move was never made. The strange thing was that he would have been moving down the road from the Griplings. If that had happened he and Blake might have become friends long ago. As he talked to Blake about meaningless matters he thought it might have been better that way. He smiled at Blake's eager face as he told him about Courtney's upcoming party.

"It's really not for any special reason. She just wants to have one before spring break ends." he went on. "I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you came along with Ginger. If you wanted to."

"Is that an invitation?" Carl asked with a sly smirk.

"I suppose." Blake blushed, shifty eyes looking anywhere but Carl.

Carl was becoming more suspicious as the hours passed and Blake could tell he was in danger of being discovered. However the more he seemed to slip up the harder it was for him to control his stuttering words and the bright blush on his pale face. Carl couldn't help but laugh at him eventually. Blake didn't seem to take too kindly to this. He felt as though Carl was letting him hang around just so he could pick on him. Now Blake was turning his face away from Carl in aggravation. Carl noticed but wasn't sure how to apologize without bringing up the delicate subject.

He'd never thought about it before but Blake was quite obvious. All it took was one little action to make someone suspicious and they knew. Now he understood why people picked on him in school for this reason. He hadn't given the idea that it might be true much thought. Carl found that he wasn't uncomfortable with the realization that Blake had a crush on him. However, this would worry him quite a bit later. For now he had to assure Blake that he hadn't been discovered.

"Alright. I'll go with Ginger and meet you there." he sighed, putting his arms behind his head as he leaned against the headboard. "I appreciate the invite by the way."

Blake looked up at him from the beanbag in which he was stiffly sitting but he had his eyes closed. Blake smiled slightly and looked at his feet. He couldn't believe that Nathanial had been right. All he had to do was come right out and ask. Even though he felt that he had asked a little too desperately. He had most likely given himself away but if Carl didn't mind leaving it as an unspoken understandment neither did Blake. The last thing he wanted to do was push Carl away with his odd feelings. At one time he had thought he would be able to own Carl through his money in the future. That method had been proven useless long ago of course but now he would much rather be owned by Carl. He didn't have much hope for this but would enjoy finally being a close friend of the one he had admired since childhood.

Carl bounced himself off the bed suddenly and stretched. Blake had to use all the force of his will to keep from staring up at him as he did so. He'd already dug his grave deep enough for the time being. He waited until Carl had moved from in front of him before standing as well. Carl put an arm around his shoulder as he guided him out and Blake's heart thumped faster. He was barely listening as Carl explained that his parents were back and that he should be getting home before Lois made a big deal out of the friendship. Blake just nodded dumbly. He was too afraid he would say something stupid if he opened his mouth. Carl bide him farewell as he practically pushed him out the door. Blake didn't seem to mind. He was smiling as he passed Lois, poking at the numbers on his cell phone blindly.

"Well," Lois began as she entered. "I see you've made a new friend, Carl."

"Sorta." he shrugged in response, watching as Dave entered behind her.

"Did ya meet him at that detention?"

"Sorta."

"Is his name sorta, too?" she asked with a laugh.

Carl glanced at Dave out of the corner of his eye as he laughed weakly in support of his mother. Carl shrugged his shoulders and snatched an apple from the basket on the table. He left for his room without a word. He didn't want to talk to anyone about Blake. If he couldn't tell Hoodsey about it there was no way he could discuss it with his mother. He sighed as he flopped down on his bed again. He tossed the apple into the air and caught it a few times until he missed. As it hit the ground and rolled to a stop beside his beanbag he suddenly found himself wishing that Blake had sat up on the bed with him today. He thought that might have been nice. Their arms might have brushed against one another. Blake might have tried to make some sort of move. It would have been real nice if he had put his arms around Carl and stared up at him with those pristine eyes. God, it would have been nice.

When he caught himself thinking this Carl suddenly found a great pressure building up behind his eyes. He turned over and slammed his head into his pillow. It wasn't easy to hurt yourself on something as soft as a pillow but somehow Carl managed it. He didn't mind though. He was too busy squeezing the offending pillow over his head as though he were trying to push those strange thoughts out through his various facial orifices. He sighed as he relaxed after a moment of fruitless squeezing. Carl hated that he was logical enough that he knew what he was thinking but so in denial that he could forget it the next moment. He sighed into his pillow as darkness set in around him. He heard Ginger enter the house. He heard the family downstairs, interacting. He wanted to go down and see everyone too. Even Dave. He would talk to anyone if it would get these thoughts off his mind. However he couldn't seem to budge an inch. It was as though he were glued face-down to his bed. He picked something up from his dresser and threw it across the room with what seemed to be all his strength. This endeavor did not promise to be as fun as it had once seemed.