Carl's Kiss

Fandom: As Told By Ginger
Ship: Blake/Carl
Word Count: 4,256
Warnings: None

Carl combed his hair back and looked himself in the eyes. He combed it to one side. Then the other. Finally he got exasperated and ruffled his hair with his hand. That would do. No it wouldn't. He groaned as he slammed his head on the bathroom counter. Blake was causing his head a lot of problems lately - both physically and mentally. All he'd heard about as Nathanial for the past two days was how much Blake was looking forward to this party. How much Blake was looking forward to seeing Carl at the party. He hadn't once come right out and said how he felt. Carl wished he would. If Blake would just help him rid the little doubt he had in his mind about it he might actually come to terms with his feelings. However, if Blake didn't feel that way about him and he admitted it to himself once and for all he'd be stuck with it while Blake went on to live a normal life. Carl sighed and lifted his head. He turned suddenly when he noticed Ginger standing in the doorway behind him.

"Having a bad hair day, Carl?" she asked, sauntering in. "Or a worse hair day considering what your hair usually looks like."

"Oh, shut up." he snapped, trying to run the comb through his tangled hair.

"Are you meeting a girl at Courtney's or something?" she went on, snatching her toothbrush from the stand and pushing him aside.

"No! And I'm using this mirror!"

"Use the one in the hall." she replied, sticking her toothbrush in her mouth and mumbling the rest of her sentence. "There's no schink in front o'dat one."

"No schink?" he mocked, sticking his tongue out at her. "Fine. I couldn't see myself around your stupid hair anyways."

Carl felt a foot make contact with his butt as he was leaving but when he turned to retaliate the door slammed in his face. He sighed again and groaned to himself as he headed down the hall. He'd never tried to do anything with his hair before and now he pitied girls. How did they deal with this everyday of their lives? Lois poked her head out of the kitchen as he flopped down on the couch. He didn't notice her approach and was lying face down in throw pillows when she peeked over at him. She put a hand to his shoulder and he nearly jumped five feet in the air.

"Geez, Carl. Lay of the caffeine." Lois sighed. "What's wrong with you?"

"My stupid hair!" he shouted, leaning his forehead against the couch and hanging his arms over the back.

Lois laughed and took the comb from his hand. He sat up as she began to fuss with it. He closed an eye every time she hit a small tangle in his short hair but she finished in no time. Soon it was laying flat down on both sides as it always had. He had once thought of going for a spiky look but that was as close as he'd ever gotten to even thinking about his hair. He was too attached to this style by now anyways.

"There you go, kiddo. Now you look sharp." she said with a wink.

"It's the same as always." he stated, putting a hand to his head.

"Well, you always look sharp." she replied, walking away.

"Thanks, Mom." he whispered when she'd gone.

He stood from the couch and went in search of his good shoes. The ones that weren't caked in dirt and marker doodles. He hadn't been sure what to wear at first. He thought he might have to rent a tuxedo considering who was holding the party but Ginger told him that Courtney had informed her that it would be casual. Unfortunately he still had to get dressed up because casual to Carl was horrifyingly filthy to Courtney. He was wearing black slacks with a buttoned up white dress shirt. He had forgone the idea of a tie because he didn't know how to tie one and he didn't want to have to ask Dave. Now that he had his shoes on and had spritzed himself with Dave's cologne he was ready to go. He was going to wait for Ginger on the couch but heard a knock at the door before he could sit down. He hurried to answer it, thinking it might be the limo that the Griplings were sending for them. However, when he opened the door it revealed someone a little less expected.

"Hoodsey." Carl stated, looking somewhat stunned. "What're you doing here?"

"Visiting, duh." he answered, putting his hands in the pockets of his hoodie. "I just got back from Dodie's. Why are you so dressed up?"

"I'm going to a party." he answered, shocked that he had almost completely forgotten about Hoodsey. "At the Griplings."

"Cool. Can I come?" Hoodsey asked, eagerly. "My mom can get me ready in a jiffy."

"Sorry, Hoodsey." Ginger said, entering the room. "It's invitation only."

"Well, who invited Carl?"

"Blake." she answered, putting on her earrings.

"Blake Gripling?!" he asked in shock.

"That would be the one." Carl replied with a nervous grin. "I've been hanging out with him while you were gone."

"Why?!"

"Come on, Hoods. He's not that bad."

"Yes he is!" Hoodsey huffed, getting himself worked up. "He tried to outdo us in everything all through school, Carl! And he always made those cracks about me! I thought we hated him!"

"We...did...at a point in history." Carl started slowly before regaining his gift of gab. "But the past is behind us Hoods. It's time to expand our horizons. Open our minds. Make connections. We might need him someday."

"Ya know, Carl. I just don't get you lately." Hoodsey replied, looking away. "I'll see you tomorrow."

Carl sighed as Hoodsey turned to leave. He hadn't even thought about when Hoodsey might return or what he might say if he found out Carl was hanging out with Blake in his absence. In fact he hadn't been thinking about Hoodsey at all while he was with Blake. That made him feel guilty but as the limo pulled up outside Ginger grabbed his arm and pulled him towards the tinted windows excitedly. The door opened and Courtney smiled out at them. Ginger crawled in and sat beside her so Carl followed. Across from Courtney Blake was huddling in the corner as though he were trying to hide but when Carl smiled at him he sat up. Carl settled in beside him, trying to pretend he hadn't sat so close on purpose. He put his arms over his head and Courtney looked appalled at his posture. Blake didn't seem to mind. Ginger actually notice the way Blake was staring at everything below her little brother's neck.

"So, Carl." she began, slyly. "Who's this girl you're meeting at Courtney's again?"

"Girl? Oh, really." Courtney said with a smile. "Do tell, Carl. Is she someone I know or a friend of Blake's?"

"I'm not meeting a girl!" he shouted, sitting up.

"Well, you took so long getting ready I just assumed you were meeting someone special."

"You said to get dressed up!" he argued, fighting the urge to glance at Blake to see his reaction.

Ginger and Courtney just giggled at his anger. Carl could just hear them thinking, Boys, at the same time. He crossed his arms and leaned back again. He glanced over at Blake when the girls seemed too lost in conversation to notice. He was looking out the window silently, one hand on the door and the other on his knee. Carl's eyes couldn't seem to leave that hand resting against his leg. It was just lying there, fingers curled ever so slightly. Pale and fragile. Blake had beautiful hands. He blushed slightly but just as Blake turned to focus those perfect blue eyes on Carl he turned his head away. Blake let a small smile creep onto his face before looking down at his feet. None of this went unnoticed by Ginger.

When they arrived the Griplings' large yard was filled with cars. Most of them were of the expensive variety. The door was already open though there was a very large man standing by it with a list. He let them by immediately with a wave of Courtney's hand and they entered what had once been the Griplings' foyer. It had been turned into a dance club overnight. There was a disco ball hanging where an expensive chandelier had once swung and a DJ was set up against the back wall. Carl almost grimaced at the techno music that pounded through the air and invaded his mind. There were buffet tables along all the walls but there was hardly anyone near them. The dance floor was full of jumping and writhing bodies. Carl was almost starting to regret coming now.

Blake beckoned to him as Courtney and Ginger began to mingle. It was way too loud to talk so he followed him to the other side of the large staircase that lead upstairs. The stairs served to block a lot of the noise so Carl and Blake talked for a little while. Carl listened more than anything though he did decide to voice his opinion on the music choice. Blake seemed to agree with him though he was sure the younger boy would prefer something a little softer than what Carl was hoping the DJ would play eventually. Carl felt Blake move closer to him but he refused himself the desire to glance over at him. He didn't want Blake to know that he had noticed. He looked down at his feet and saw Blake's hand out of the corner of his eye. It was only a few centimeters from his own.

"They're finally changing the music." Blake stated as the techno beat ceased abruptly. "Do you want to get something to eat before they begin the racket once again?"

"Sure." Carl replied, shrugging slightly.

They stood and headed for the snack tables but the lights began to dim as they did so. Carl almost tripped on a chair but caught himself on Blake's shoulder. He apologized but Blake didn't say anything. If he could see the other boy's face clearly he would realize he had enjoyed the simple touch greatly. Blake's face felt like it was on fire and he was glad the lights were low. They sat down before Carl ended up hurting himself and watched couples slow dance. Carl didn't see Ginger from where they were standing but he was sure Courtney had set her up with a dance partner already. He ate chips and sucked down a coke though Blake didn't seem to be hungry. He just watched Carl eat. Carl was sure he was grossing the more sophisticated boy out and decided he should stop while he was ahead. He gulped the last handful of chips down quite audibly and chugged the coke. Blake jerked when he crushed it in his hand, tossing it on the table. Carl definitely didn't think he was impressing Blake with his manners.

Carl wiped his mouth on his sleeve and lowered his hands to his lap silently, looking slightly embarrassed. He went back to watching the other wallflowers. He was trying to guess who was going to find someone to dance with before they decided they'd had enough slow songs and went back to the techno. He watched as a few were asked but one girl was sitting alone. Carl was beginning to feel sorry for her until another girl walked over with the boy she had been dancing with a moment ago. She dismissed the boy and offered to dance with the girl instead. Carl wondered if she was a lesbian or if she was only doing this out of kindness. It was harder to tell with girls because they would dance with one another without worrying that someone would call them gay. His mind seemed to be consumed by this thought suddenly.

"Why can't men dance together without being called gay?" he asked suddenly.

"I...beg your...pardon." Blake said with a raised eyebrow.

"That girl's dancing with her friend because no one asked her. If a guy did that everyone would think he was gay."

"Well, of course." Blake replied with a small laugh.

"That's sexist though." Carl huffed, crossing his arms. "I think we should prove a point."

Carl stood suddenly and thrust a hand at Blake. Blake stared at him like he had lost his mind though there was a hopeful look in his eyes. Carl could make out the blush on his cheeks even in the dim light from the disco ball. He watched as the multicolored lights passed over Blake's face a few times before the other boy reached up and gave Carl his hand. There was no way Blake was going to miss the opportunity to dance with Carl. Carl had been genuinely trying to prove a point when he'd made the ridiculous suggestion but when Blake placed his delicate hand into his open fingers a thrill went through him. He pulled Blake to his feet gently and stared for a moment. What was he doing?

"Shall we?" he asked, smiling to cover up his uncertainty.

Blake nodded and Carl lead him over to the dance floor. A few people stopped dancing momentarily to stare but not too many of the guests even took notice of them. Carl placed his hand on Blake's shoulder and the other around his waist. Blake's entire body seemed to go off in a tingle as his fingers caressed the small of his back. Carl was being so gentle and was staring down into his eyes without looking away. He didn't know if he was going to survive this dance to find out if he was really proving a point or not. Blake almost died when Carl pulled him a few steps closer as he wrapped his arms around his waist in return. And then they began to move. Carl was by no means a ballroom dancer but he at least tried to move rather than just swaying from side to side. Blake didn't seem to mind that it wasn't exactly a romantic waltz. He was pulled closer and gasped slightly as his body touched Carl's. He was definitely not going to make it.

"Carl..."

"Sorry." he laughed in a low voice.

Blake wished he hadn't said anything as Carl pulled back again. He felt like he was being teased in a way. Across the room the dance was being watched by a pair of somewhat surprised eyes. Ginger grabbed Courtney's arm and she looked over to her friend with a frustrated expression as she was dragged away from her conversation with another girl. Ginger simply pointed at Carl and Blake silently so Courtney followed the direction of her finger. She gasped when her eyes landed on Carl and Blake. Her little brother was dancing with Carl Foutley of all people!

"That Blake!" she exclaimed. "Of all the boys in the world he takes to that filthy little mongrel you call a brother."

"...Wait...Courtney, aren't you shocked that he's taken to a boy at all."

"Of course not, Ginger." she laughed. "Really, as feminine as Blake is you don't think we haven't been waiting for this to happen?"

"You might have seen it coming but I didn't." Ginger replied. "I mean, Carl's always been weird but in a masculine way I guess."

"Well, at least if they marry we'll be sisters." Courtney giggled, looping her arm with Ginger's as they watched.

Carl pulled Blake close once again and Blake made sure he didn't ruin it this time. Carl held him as their dance dwindled into a sway. Blake hoped he would pull him a little closer. He wanted to be wrapped up in Carl's arms with their bodies pressed tightly together. He wanted it so much at that moment he almost made his desire known but before his lips could part the music ended. Carl pulled away as the lights brightened again and the techno music resumed it's obnoxious pounding. Blake stared up at him without speaking but Carl pulled him back to the edge of the dance floor by his hand after a few seconds. He flopped back into his chair but Blake stood, staring down at him.

"Carl..." Blake whispered.

"Huh?!" Carl shouted.

"Nothing!" he shouted back.

"What?!"

"NOTHING!"

"What?!"

Blake sighed and looked around. The party had grown since they'd arrived and he was sure the whole town was there. He shook his head and grabbed Carl's arm. He pointed to the stairs so that he'd know where they were going. He followed obediently but Blake didn't stop at the stairs. He continued on to a door across from them. As they exited and could speak once again Blake explained that the noise was getting to him and he needed to get away from it for a while. So he lead Carl to his old tree house. They climbed up into the still sturdy boat-like structure. Luckily the tree house had been built for the occupation of Winston as well. The trap door was big enough for both to climb through and the floor would definitely support their weight. Carl looked around to find that Blake actually seemed to still occupy the aging childhood relic. There was the refrigerator, a TV with a game console hooked up to it and he would bet his life there was a satellite dish on the roof. Blake sat on the couch and didn't look at Carl.

"So, what ya got to eat in here?" Carl asked, opening the fridge.

"No! Don't-!"

"Blakey-boy." Carl whistled. "You got a bit of a drinking problem."

Blake blushed as Carl was greeted by the sight of liquor bottles. It looked to be some pretty expensive booze. He riffled through the contents of the small, frozen treasure chest until he found some vodka. He slammed the door shut and Blake cringed as he heard the bottles in the side tray rattle. Carl flopped down next to him with a grin on his lips as he shook the vodka slightly. Blake was surprised that he hadn't wanted to know where he had acquired the alcohol or why he kept so much of it in his tree house. He hadn't thought Carl would be a drinker due to his family's general good values. However, if he didn't care Blake wasn't going to object to sharing with him.

Blake wasn't really a drunk. He only drank enough to get buzzed when he was upset or stressed. That liquor was supposed to last him for a year. Carl went through three bottles on his own. He had never imagined he would be watching Carl get drunk on his couch while he sat beside him, holding his second drink. Carl began to talk about things that bothered him. About Dave and his father. He talked about school. He even talked about Sussman which made Blake a little uncomfortable. Then he started talking about when they were kids. They shared some laughs over some of the ridiculous episodes they went through. Then Carl got serious and Blake blushed. He scooted closer as he told him about how he was glad they'd become friends again.

"You know what Blakey-boy?" Carl slurred, staring into his eyes. "You're my best friend."

"I thought Hoodsey was your best friend." Blake replied.

"He is," Carl whispered, grabbing Blake's face. "But a guy can have more than one best friend. And you're my best, best friend."

Carl's fingers were squeezing his cheeks so that Blake's lips were puckering up and a deep blush spread all over his face. Carl was leaning forward. His lips were inches away. Centimeters. Oh, God. Carl's lips touched Blake's softly and he felt himself melt into a puddle. He leaned into the kiss as it intensified and Carl's hand left his face. Blake intertwined their fingers softly and almost moaned. The kiss wasn't nearly as passionate or as long as Blake had hoped. It was a drunken, sloppy kiss which Carl soon ended. Blake stared at him with tears in his eyes. Carl leaned his head against Blake's shoulder and wrapped his arms around his waist. His eyes closed slowly and Blake felt him go limp in his arms. He fell backwards onto the couch under his weight and there they stayed. Blake sighed as he ran his fingers through Carl's hair. This probably wasn't going to go over well in the morning.

When Carl woke up he was laying on top of Blake. There were at least four bottles of booze on the floor. He pushed himself up abruptly and looked down at Blake. He was still sleeping and luckily still dressed. Carl breathed a sigh of relief as he stood. He looked around for a moment and was shocked to find the sun shining in through the windows. He'd stayed here all night. The fact that he had been sleeping on top of Blake all night suddenly registered. Carl dropped to the ground as the memory of the kiss returned to his foggy mind. He gripped his head in his hands for a moment. He closed his eyes and he saw Blake's lips coming closer. He beat on his head with his palms suddenly. No, no, no! Why had he done that?!

Blake stirred in his sleep and Carl's head jerked up. Blake was only rolling over and curling into himself. He remained asleep but Carl decided he better leave now before he really did wake up. He didn't want to have to be in such an awkward situation though he knew he would have to face him later. Carl sighed and pulled a small cover off the back of the couch, covering Blake up first. He stared at him for a moment as he clutched the blanket tightly around him. Carl sighed as thought about last night. He felt a surge of pleasure from the memory of their dance and the warmth of Carl's small body as he moved closer. As he moved closer in order to kiss him. Carl turned from Blake's sleeping form and descended the ladder without another glance at the other boy. He knew this had been a bad idea. He'd known it because he'd known better than to trust himself.

He was relieved to find both his mom and Dave at work when he got home. He hurried inside and headed straight for the stairs but before he could make it Ginger spotted him. She came stomping out of the kitchen with a crazy glint in her eye that Carl didn't like. He tried to run upstairs but she grabbed him by the back of his shirt and pulled him back down, shoving him into the kitchen where she could lecture him without guarding his escape. She crossed her arms as he sat in a chair, resigning himself to an earful.

"Carl, what were you thinking?" she began. "I looked everywhere for you. I had to lie to Mom and tell her that you were staying with Hoodsey."

"Well I was staying the night with someone. Me and Blake were out in his tree house."

"I know where you were, Carl!" she shouted.

"Ow! Jesus, Ginger!" Carl shouted, grabbing his head as a sudden surge of pain shot through his brain.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Do you have a HANG OVER, CARL?!"

"Dammit, Ginger!" he cried, bending over so that his forehead almost touched his lap.

"Serves you right!" she replied. "I expected more from you, Carl. Do you know how much liquor you drank last night?"

"Three bottles." he replied, cooly, smirking.

"Carl, I saw you with Blake."

"We were drinking together. Of course you saw me with him."

"I saw you dancing with him."

"...So?" he asked, staring at her defensively. "I was already drunk by that time. You may not know this but people do stupid stuff when they get drunk."

"Yeah. I guess people do stupid stuff." she replied, staring him down. "Just don't do stupid stuff again or I might have to start spreading it around."

"You wouldn't dare." he whispered, angrily.

"Let me catch you drinking again and we'll find out."

Carl sighed as she turned to leave. This was just great. Now his sister was blackmailing him, Blake would be filled with false hope, and worst of all he was still going to have to talk to him as Nathanial. This was going to be the most awkward day of his life. He crawled back into bed to try to sleep his hang over off before he had to go in for his special punishment. He knew Ginger would wake him up when it was time to go and enjoy the process as well. Sometimes she could be the meanest girl to ever live but Carl knew this time she was only worried about him. He sighed as he buried his face in his pillow and tried to forget about the sight of Blake's lips. The feeling of his body held against his own. He pulled the pillow over his head and squeezed again. He hated feelings so much right now. He'd cut his heart out if he thought it would stop them. He eventually fell into a short, dreamless sleep, hoping Ginger would forget about him. He definitely didn't want to talk to Blake.