Home: Sister

Fandom: Red vs Blue
Character: Kaikana "Sister" Grif
Word Count: 366
Warnings: None

A key jingled in the darkness of a dusty room. The accompaniment of a creak set the scene for Sister's return home. She had seen Dexter off hours ago. She hadn't really felt much of anything about her brother being drafted until he had actually disappeared into outer space. She had stood beneath the reddened sky, feeling lost without him. She didn't even know how she would make it home. And it finally sunk in when the sunlight faded.

She was alone.

The light flickered on as a purse dropped into the corner and a set of big brown eyes gazed around absently. Sister felt like she was a stranger here. She recognized every last detail, but something was missing. The over-sized blue couch in the middle of the room where Dexter was so often found glared at her. The tiny kitchen that was barely separated from the rest of the living space was silent and filthy. A big yellow shirt still hung off the TV antenna.

Sister took small, robotic steps towards the center of her brother's attention, took his shirt in hand, and tugged softly. But it was stuck. She jerked. The antenna hit the floor beside her feet and the shirt hung limply from her long fingernails. She dropped it.

Sister didn't know what to do. Dexter wasn't here to tell her. Should she stay home? Should she go party? She wanted to go party. But she wanted to be alone. Dexter would know which was best for her. Dexter always knew what was best. Even if she got angry and fought with him about it sometimes, Dexter had never let anything bad happen to her. Who would keep bad things from happening now?

She picked the shirt up again and shuffled over to the couch. Dexter had practically left an imprint on his side. She sat down in it very softly and gathered the shirt into her arms. She wrapped her arms around herself, pressing the shirt into her chest. It was almost like having Grif hug her. She stared deep into the blackness of the TV screen as if she could find Grif's big, comforting smile if she looked hard enough.