Keep Smiling, Connie

Fandom: Red vs Blue
Characters: Florida and Connecticut
Word Count: 244
Warnings: None

Connie finished removing her armor and was just on her way out of the locker room when she spotted Florida standing in a corner. She wouldn't have given it a second thought normally, but there was something off about how the man held himself. On closer inspection his eyes were blank and unmoving. Connie stepped up to him, and Florida jerked. He drew his pistol immediately and by the time the barrel lined up with Connie's face, her own landed on his.

"Oh, Connecticut," Florida sighed, lowering his pistol. "Don't sneak up on me like that."

"I was worried." Connie replied, following suit. "What were you doing?"

"My last mission proved to be just a bit taxing. I didn't think anyone would mind if I took a little nap here."

"Do you normally sleep this way?" Connie asked, holstering her weapon.

"I find it pays to be prepared to move at a moment's notice. But I guess it doesn't stop someone from sneaking up on me."

Florida chuckled and Connie shook her head with a smile. She wasn't very close with Florida, but he seemed pleasant enough if not a bit odd.

"Sorry to wake you, then."

"No worries, Connie. I have another mission soon."

"Already? You've been busy lately."

"I'm here to serve," Florida replied, stretching. "I'm happy to go on as many missions as it takes. Nothing's more important to me than the safety of my teammates."

Connie knew that Florida worked more closely with Intel, but she never knew exactly what he did on his missions. She had never really thought about it, so she'd never drawn the line between his position and her own. In fact, his position made him closer to the Director. If anything, this had made her wary of him. She was still wary.

"I guess I should thank you then."

"No need. But I'll take a smile instead if you have any to spare."

Connie gave him a small smile. He was making her uncomfortable. His jovial nature was too much of a contrast to their environment. In the grey world they inhabited, Florida splashed across the backdrop in a bright blue. By comparison the rest of it became all the grey-er.

"Keep smiling, Connie," Florida said as he picked his helmet up from the floor. "It suits you."

He put the helmet on and walked away. Connie felt better once he had disappeared.