Read 'em and Weep

Fandom: Hazbin Hotel
Ship: Husk/Angel Dust
Word Count: 456
Warnings: None

“Read ‘em and weep, baby!” 

Angel laid out his hand and grinned across the bar at Husk. Husk stared him straight in the eyes as he slapped his own hand down. A smirk eased over his face as he spread the cards out deliberately. 

“Full house, sweetheart. Cough it up.” 

Angel slipped off the bar stool with a sigh and turned around, staring at Husk over his shoulder as he ran a pair of his hands down his side. He gave Husk his best sultry look, thumbs catching on the waistband of his shorts as he shimmied, teasing at the fabric. 

Husk’s smirk faded as he watched, his attention where Angel wanted it. When he’d slipped the card he wanted down a glove, Angel turned suddenly and leaned over the bar. Husk’s eyes were on Angel’s chest now as he pulled at the bowtie around his neck instead. He let it fall in front of Husk, winking as he slid off the bar and back into his chair.

“Think that shit’s cute, don’t ya?” 

“Everything I do’s cute and you know it.”

Husk half rolled his eyes as he started dealing cards once again. While Angel looked over his cards, Husk pulled a little sleight of hand himself. He narrowed his eyes and watched Angel as he showed his next hand. 

“Royal flush!” Angel declared, gesturing at the spread. 

Husk reached out and grabbed Angel’s arm suddenly. 

“What a coincidence,” he growled as he spread out his own royal flush. “Same suit and everything.”

A flash of panic shot across Angel’s face and Husk released his arm as suddenly as he’d grabbed it. Kid looked scared out of his wits and ready to brawl. He tried to soften his features but it was hard. It had been too long. 

“Good game,” he tried instead.

Angel watched as Husk stood up and made an awkward show of removing his own bow tie. Now Angel was laughing. 

“And what the fuck are you laughin’ at?” Husk demanded, slamming the bow tie down next to Angel’s. 

“Game’s not over yet.” 

Angel pointed to his head and Husk realized he still had his hat. He grinned and pulled back up to the bar. 

“Yeah I’m sure my bare head’s real fuckin’ enticin’. Let’s go hot pants. I want those shorts next.” 

“Yes, daddy,” Angel teased. 

An irritated grimace creaked into place and Husk’s cards rose to hide it as Angel laughed again. He put his chin in a hand and watched Husk over his cards. These late night card games were really keeping him distracted. And Husk wasn’t as harsh as he let on.

He’d get that big softie eventually. And, who knew, he might even win a card game.