We Lost Rhode Island

Fandom: Red vs Blue
Characters: Florida and North Dakota
Word Count: 244
Warnings: Death

North rapped on the wall before entering the rec room. He knew Florida was there and the place wasn't exactly private, but all things considered, North thought he'd at least alert the other man to his presence. Florida was sitting on the edge of a chair with a book in his hands. His head was down, which concerned North a little. He couldn't recall seeing that before. Florida hadn't reacted to his knock either.

"I heard you had a rough mission."

"We lost Rhode Island."

Florida's voice was matter of fact. There didn't seem to be a bit of regret or pain hidden there. But there was a shift in the way the blue soldier held himself when he spoke. His posture became stiffer.

"I'm sorry to hear that," North replied. And he had been the first time he'd heard it as well. "She was a good soldier."

Florida closed the book, fingers sliding over the cover tenderly. North couldn't help but watch them. They dripped off the edge and Florida finally raised his head. North's eyes rose to meet Florida's. The smile on his face didn't reach all the way there like it usually did.

"She'll want this for her trip," Florida replied. "Will you take it to command for me, North?"

"Sure."

Florida handed the book to North as he stood. The happy-go-lucky soldier's legs looked heavy without their usual bounce. He moved passed, patting North's shoulder as he went.

"Thanks, buddy."