Shall We Dance

Fandom: 9
Characters: 3, 4, 7, 2, 5, 6
Word Count: 1,977
Warnings: None

Shall We Dance?

7 watched the twins scurry around the new room they were exploring. They'd only been here a week, and she couldn't believe how large it was. However, it seemed to her that the twins knew where they were going most of the time. She wouldn't be surprised if they spent all night cataloguing while everyone else was resting. She smiled as they scurried over a pile of books, and their eyes lit up as they read the cover. They turned to share the information with one another. It didn't matter if they were examining the same thing; they always ended their investigation with a dialogue in that strange language of theirs. She wasn't sure she'd ever figure it out, but that was fine. She didn't need to know what they were saying to feel a motherly bond developing for them.

2 and 5 had joined them today, looking for the supplies they needed to build that strange telescope contraption the twins had found in a book yesterday. They had taken the page to their workshop and studied it long into the night, so they were eager to begin. They poked around in the drawers of a large desk, looking for lenses, as the twins scurried around under the bed. They didn't seem to be finding anything, but when 7 stuck her head in to see that they weren't getting into any kind of mischief, a cloud of dust exploded in her face. She wiped at her optics and when her vision had cleared she could see four dots of light wavering behind something large and dusty. The object itself didn't concern her. Her intense glare was too focused on the twins to care what they were blowing off. They scurried to hide behind the strangely shaped … thing.

Their worried looks amused her and her anger lessened considerably. She let a malicious smile spread over her face, and they ducked behind the object as she ran at them. They were a little too fast even for 7, and they had scurried to the other side before 7 could reach them. Their heads popped into view momentarily, but disappeared once more as she tried to cut them off. When she reached the other side, they were gone again. Their heads appeared over the edge once more, and she looked surprised at their speed. This game of wild goose chase didn't amuse her for very long, though the twins could probably have gone on forever. After a few laps around the circular object, she stopped and sighed, placing a hand against it.

"Alright, you win," she admitted, putting the other hand out to stop them. "You win."

Her declaration of defeat seemed to make 3 and 4 happy. Their optics lit up and they stared at one another momentarily before rushing over to her. She figured they were laughing at her, but 4 tugged on her arm and pointed at the object they'd been racing around as 3 ran around behind it and began to push. Obviously, they wanted her to help them get it out, so she and 4 joined 3 in his struggle. When part of the object became visible, 2 and 5 came to help as well. They had it out in the light in no time, but 7 was no more sure of what it was. There were small … people atop the circular platform. They held one another and she felt a distant pining in her chest. It was beautiful even covered in dust and grime. She placed her hand against her chest, and the twins took notice.

So, their guardian liked this object? They turned and shared flickering optic signals briefly before scurrying all over it. They'd have to figure out what this one did in double the time. They didn't bother to stop and discuss the data they were collecting as they usually did, but rather, quite suddenly, dropped off the platform and hit the ground at the exact same time beside 2. They were standing before a large piece of metal protruding from the platform, and the others watched in curiosity as they grabbed the bottom. They tried to push it, but it barely budged. When it did, however, a soft sound emitted from within, and the couple of humans on top moved slightly. The twins exchanged very excited flickers before grabbing 5 and 2. They pushed them to the top of the platform.

"Alright, alright," 2 laughed, putting both hands on the piece of metal. "Ready?"

5 nodded, and they pushed down on their end as 3 and 4 pushed the other upward. There was a slight pause between the winding, due to the difficulty, and the soft sound could be heard again. 7 tried to help, but 3 left his post and pushed her back to her previous position. He even grabbed her hand and put it back on her chest. The look on his face definitely told her to stay, so she did. Eventually, the twins released the key, and 2 and 5 climbed back down. They stood back to watch, and the twins took to either side of 7, watching her face carefully. She knew they were cataloguing her reaction, but she didn't let that bother her. The movement of the people on top was simple. They only turned on the platform. None of their limbs moved, their faces were locked into that eternal expression of utter happiness, and the dust that remained rained down on them like snow. But it was beautiful.

The twins looked to one another around 7's waist, eyes flickering rapidly. They ran over and seemed to be studying the object again, but this time they ran around the platform, trying to keep up with the people on top as they spun slowly. As they were doing this, a motion at the door caught 2's attention. A hunched form eased into the room, fingers clutching the doorway. 5 noticed him as he shuffled up to them, mismatched eyes locked onto the object.

"Sound…" he whispered, softly.

2 smiled gently at him, but he didn't pay either of them any attention. He walked up to the object and placed his hand on the dusty surface of the platform, head against the object that was producing such a comforting sound. His hands wiped away some of the dust, and when he pulled back, he noticed the color beneath. Pink. He hurriedly wiped away as much as he could to find blues and purples.

"Color!" he exclaimed, eyes lighting up. "Color."

As he was marveling at the colors, the twins rounded the platform, flickering eyes locked on the part of the object that most pleased their guardian. They ran straight into 6 and the three of them rolled across the floor in a tumble of limbs and stripes. The twins were quick to remove themselves from the pile as soon as they stopped, but it took 6 a minute to collect himself. He sat up after a moment, placing his inky fingers to his head. 2 and 5 grabbed an arm each and helped the artist to his feet with worried expressions as 3 and 4 hid behind 7, but he was smiling when he looked up at them. He was still enraptured with the colorful object that produced the soothing sounds. 2 and 5 smiled and let go of him, so he could return to inspecting the colors and decorations that ran around the platform. They marveled at how hard it was to break his focus. 3 and 4, realizing they weren't going to be able to study the people on top without injuring 6, took to looking for another example. Their eyes ran around the room, flickering as they took in and denied each object. Their eyes landed on 5 and 2, simultaneously.

"2," 5 began. "Why are they looking at us like tha-a-a-t!"

Before 5 could finish his sentence, 3 had sped up behind him and pushed. 4 had obviously done the same to 2, because they collided with one another suddenly. 5 didn't even have time to apologize for the awkwardness of the situation before 3 took 5's hand and placed it on 2's shoulder. 4 took his other, practically throwing it at 2's waist. 5 wasn't sure when they'd done the same with 2, but they were suddenly standing the exact same way as the people on top of the object. 7 gave a short laugh as they stared at one another. Both looked unsure of what to do, but the laugh had encouraged 3 and 4. They grabbed a stitchpunk each by the waist and began to spin them.

Her laughter grew at their stumbling feet and 5's nervous expressions. 2, once the twins had stopped pushing, began to smile. He twirled around with 5 easily, lifting a stitched brow at him. That only made 5 more nervous than before, so it wasn't long until there was a tripping of feet and the two found themselves sprawled on the ground. 5's nervous apologies as he helped the elder stitchpunk – who only laughed – to his feet made the twins look at one another. They agreed, with very little flickering of the optics, that 5 was not a suitable subject after all. But 2 had worked fine. They grabbed him before he could finish patting 5's shoulder and tossed him at 7. He tried to catch himself, but fell into her arms as he tripped. She smiled at him apologetically, and he straightened himself once more.

"Well," he stated, brushing his vest off. "Shall we?"

7 smiled as he extended his hand to her and gave her that kindly smile everyone loved so much. She took his hand and mimicked the movements 5 and 2 had been forced to exhibit with a little less stumbling. 7 was taller than 2, so she led him around the mostly empty room, though she could have no way of knowing that proper etiquette of that dance dictated she let him lead. 2 was just glad to see 7 smile. 7 couldn't be happier. The screaming warrior within her had grown quiet, and she let herself fall into the comforting feeling of being held by 2. His arms were gentle and they reminded her of something. Something she had felt a long, long time ago. She sighed and the twins noticed her facial expression change. They ran up to them, trying not to interfere in the dance, and catalogued this change for future reference. She gave them a look that said, "back off!" so they did, but they kept an eager eye on her.

She returned her attention to the feeling this strange, human ritual was provoking in her. She slumped into 2's arms as she relaxed and heard him laugh softly. She didn't mind. She knew no laugh that came from 2 was one directed at you. It was always with you. She sighed again, and they danced until the music stopped, 5 and the twins watching them. As the music ended, and she pulled away, she felt another familiar feeling in her chest. This one she knew. This one was a lonely, lost feeling. She put on a smile for the twins anyways, and let them rush up to inspect her. She even threw her arms out, so they could look every inch of her over. She had no idea what they thought they'd find, but it was futile to try to resist them once they became intrigued by something. Her eyes followed them as they circled her, and they rose to meet 2's. He was smiling at her softly. She felt her own smile become genuine in response, and she knew – a little – what the feeling had meant. It was love: the love of a father.