The Gift of Stitches

Fandom: 9
Characters: 3, 4, and 1
Word Count: 1,641
Warnings: None

The Gift of Stitches

1 gave a "humph" as he followed the twins around the cathedral. He would have 8 in tow, as usual, if it hadn't been for that magnet the twins had found for him not long ago. Now he could never get the illiterate twit off his ass long enough to do anything. He knew 7 and the twins had been scouting the entire cathedral, day in and day out, but he hadn't made a habit of venturing too far inward. However, if he was going to lead and protect the others, he had to know this place inside and out. Now that 7 had assured him there were no visible dangers thus far, he'd decided to finally take a look around with the twins as his guides. 7 had been scouting around the outside of the cathedral, quite conveniently, when it had come time to escort him around. 1 shook his head at the impertinent youngster's instant rebellion against him. She simply refused to accept the truth. She could never see that all he wanted was their safety. He was not a villain out to steal away her precious freedom. When would she realize that he only wanted what was best for her? For everyone…

He followed the two energetic stitchpunks for a few hours before he became too tired to go on any longer. Even though they were stopping to reexamine things they might have missed the first time around, he still couldn't keep up with their pace. He sat down on a book after a while, though he hated to admit he couldn't do anything that any of the others could. The twins noticed this, but didn't bother him. They took to exploring the room once more. They'd never had time to go over every single room thoroughly. 7 was always urging them along, or they would spend all day on a single room. They decided to take this moment to probe into corners they'd been forced out of in previous ventures and headed for a dark closet. 7 had herded them out when she'd made sure there was nothing alive within, but it held untold treasures for 3 and 4.

As they entered, a very large machine caught their flashing eyes once again. They'd wanted to explore it before, but 7 wouldn't have it. They ran over and clambered onto the top of it. It was oddly shaped, but rarely anything in this place was simply geometric. This, however, had knobs and switches and needles and string and all kinds of interesting accessories in a box beside it. They grew excited, and 3 dropped into the box instantly. He began throwing things over his shoulders as he searched for the most interesting, and 4 catalogued the machine as quickly as she possibly could.

1 looked up as a spool of thread came rolling across his field of vision. He watched the large object roll by for a moment before returning his narrow eyes to the door. Now what were those two little ruffians up to? He stood to find out when there was a sudden crash from within and a loud systematic humming. 3 and 4 almost ran 1 over as they exited the closet, grabbing his arms to hide themselves – from their own idiocy, 1 was sure. He gave them each a scolding look and took a few steps forward, trying to look brave. 3 and 4 followed close behind him but never got more than a step or two within reach of him. He looked back to see if they were still there, and they stopped in their tracks. He gave them a huff as he turned and squared his shoulders with a clearing of his throat.

"Well, then," he admonished. "Let's see what mischief you've caused this time."

3 and 4 inched up a little closer, and he continued with a surer stride to his steps, staff gripped tightly in his clawed fingers. He couldn't see anything, but when the twins popped their heads out from around him to investigate from the safety of their newly acquired shield, the light from their eyes lit the darkness a bit. He swallowed and stared at the machine they'd obviously unintentionally activated with their meddling. It had a giant needle that went up and down rapidly and made a great racket. 1 shivered. It looked like a torture device. He had no idea how he would stop it, but it seemed rather stationary, so his courage grew a bit. He walked up to the horrific thing and poked it with his staff sharply. He jumped back, waited, and when it did nothing in retaliation, gave it a disdainful look.

"Feh," he scoffed. "Nothing but noise and motion."

Seeing that 1 had not been immediately devoured, the twins waddled up to the machine as well. 4 scurried up the side to find the switch she'd hit with her foot and stopped it. Once the needle was slowed to a halt, 1 motioned for them to come closer, so he could get a better look. There was a length of cloth trapped in the machine's grip. As he leaned over to study it, he recognized stitching similar to that of their own skin. He turned to the box beside it to find thread and needles strewn all around from 3's rummaging. Hmm…this was a very valuable find. He placed a hand on 3's shoulder and pulled him close with a smile.

"Go fetch the others," he whispered. "I believe I've managed to find the medical supplies 2's been going on about."

The twins looked at one another, eyes flashing as they debated on who would go and who would wait with 1. Neither of them wanted to be bothered with the old man, but 4 won the very quick argument in the end. She sped off to find the rest of their little clan, and while she was gone, 1 examined the other items there for their usefulness. 3 watched him, but kept his distance. He felt he should stay out of the way until 1 was finished with his cataloguing before he and 4 got back to their own. 1 began to throw needles, buttons, and thread into a pile together. 3 waited a moment longer, fingers flinching slightly in his unfamiliar state of stillness. Finally, when the torture of sitting still got to him, he went to help with the sorting. He had to carry one item at a time, but 1 gave him a smile. 3 returned the look, hefting a large spool of thread and waddling over to the pile to place it with the rest.

When the others arrived, it took almost no time before they had the precious materials carted back to what 2 was appointing the medical ward. He, of course, knew that it had been 3 and 4's find and gave them each a pat on the head as he returned from the first trip. When everyone had piled the remaining bits and pieces in their arms – 5 and 7 holding a large pair of scissors over their heads – the twins turned to see 1 sit down upon the cloth that had caught up in the machine. He wiped an arm over his forehead and sighed, the busy day having become a bit much for his old gears. The twins scurried behind the doorframe and watched him. He picked a piece of the material up in his fingers with a thoughtful look before throwing it around his shoulders. He held it there for a moment, looking pleased with the feel of it, but let it fall as he stood to catch up with the others. The twins eyes flickered at him as he passed, and he gave them a calculating look before dismissing it. The twins waited until he had walked away to scurry back into the room. 1 was overseeing the arrangement of the medical supplies when, hours later, 3 and 4 returned. 7 smiled as they ran up behind her.

"I wondered where you got to," she laughed. "What's that?"

3 and 4 tried to run around her, but the thing in their hands caught on her waist, almost knocking her over. They stepped back and ran around one another for a moment in confusion before finally picking a side and passing on 7's right. She watched in amazement as they ran up to 1. He didn't notice them immediately and was surprised when each grabbed one of his arms, tugging frantically.

"What, what is it?" 1 grouched. "Can't you see I'm busy!?"

As he looked down, 3 and 4 reached their arms up towards him, a red cloth grasped in their fingers. 1 stared in shock for a moment before taking it in his hands. It was the same red material that had been caught in the machine, but it was so well made and there was a shiny jewel as a clasp. 1 placed it around his shoulders and smiled as he ran a finger over the jewel. He wondered where they'd found such a brilliant thing. The twins' eyes flickered as they catalogued his response carefully.

"Well," 1 said, clearing his throat. "Thank you, 3. 4."

He gave them a slight nod of approval and they grinned, scurrying back to 7 immediately. She placed her arms around their shoulders as they latched onto her, glad to see 1 finally show some gratitude to someone. He returned to his job of bossing everyone around, but she could see him clutching the end of his new cape in his hand every now and then. 3 and 4 certainly didn't miss it. They continued to catalogue his behavior for the rest of the day, which was slightly improved thanks to the unexpected gift.